Social media accounts ‘deleted’ on teachers’ orders five days after pupil’s death
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Social media accounts ‘deleted’ on teachers’ orders five days after pupil’s death

Pre-inquest hearing into the tragic death of Mia Janin hears Snapchat accounts that may contain vital evidence were deleted just five days after the 14-year-old took her life.

Brigit Grant is the Jewish News Supplements Editor

Mia's father Mariano is now pleading with parents and pupils to come forward to help him to discover why she died.

Image republished courtesy of Vicki Couchman / The Sunday Times / News Licensing
Mia's father Mariano is now pleading with parents and pupils to come forward to help him to discover why she died. Image republished courtesy of Vicki Couchman / The Sunday Times / News Licensing

A pre-inquest hearing into the tragic death of JFS pupil Mia Janin has heard how Snapchat accounts that may contain vital evidence were deleted on the instruction of teachers just five days after the 14-year-old took her own life.

Detective Inspector Gail Steele, who heads the Metropolitan Police investigation into Mia’s death, informed the hearing, which was observed via Zoom by the Janin family, that members of the Kenton school’s staff had told pupils to delete the information, in line with new regulations giving schools authority to delete pupils’ social media content.

Appeals to social media companies Mia and her classmates used to release key data have not been granted and coroner Andrew Walker was asked to put the companies on notice for data to be retained for the ongoing police investigation. It was also revealed in court that police are waiting for statements from other adult witnesses and an unnamed rabbi.

The hearing was adjourned until 15 September.

Mia Janin, JFS pupil who took her own life in March 2021

Mia took her life on 12 March 2021, one day after returning to the school at the end of lockdown last year. Her father, Mariano, is now pleading with parents and pupils at the Kenton school to come forward to help him to discover why.

He believes toxic social media posts or videos may have led to the death of the Year 10 pupil, whom fellow students said had been a victim of bullying.

“This whole experience has been a nightmare too horrible to explain,” Mariano told The Sunday Times. “Every day feels like I’m living in slow motion. Parents with information – please take it to the coroner. We need to know what happened for the sake of other children and also for Mia.  Do not close ranks.”

Mia became the third student at the Jewish state school to die by suicide since 2017.

This week’s front page.

The night before her death, Mia reportedly asked her parents if she could move to a different school. Investigators found she had sent a voice message to a friend, before the first day back, saying she was “mentally preparing myself to get bullied by him [an unnamed pupil] and all his friends”.

Mariano said he knows Mia logged into a social media app – either Yolo or Houseparty – just hours before her death, but does not know what she saw, sent or received.

Mia’s phone was handed over to police in the wake of her death, but remained locked until Wednesday’s pre-inquest hearing. Mariano hopes investigators will find what prompted his daughter to end her life. He added: “I do not want any other parent to be in my shoes.”

His wife, Marisa, who found Mia, died of an aggressive form of sudden-onset cancer  just months after her daughter’s death.

Mia’s death closely resembles that of Molly Russell, a 14-year-old from nearby Harrow who took her own life in 2017 after checking social media posts. Molly’s father, Ian, is supporting the Janin family in demanding answers.

Ofsted investigated JFS after Mia’s death and downgraded it from “good” to “unsatisfactory” and said any students had been subjected to harsh bullying with little to no intervention from staff.

JFS headteacher David Moody told Jewish News: “Following on from comments made to the Sunday Times who recently ran an article on Mia, the school is unable to comment about an ongoing police investigation.”

“As the new headteacher of JFS, I am confident that all possible information has been made available to the police to support them in reaching a conclusion. OfSTED have recently graded JFS as a good school and were pleased with the sustained changes enacted by both Governors and the new leadership team.”

If you need support or are supporting someone who needs help call 020 8458 2223

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments