YouTube urged to take down Wiley’s account after video removed for hate speech
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

YouTube urged to take down Wiley’s account after video removed for hate speech

Board of Deputies warned the video-sharing site that the grime artist is using it to spread hate, as the site confirmed it has temporarily suspended monetisation on all his videos

Wiley's Youtube account
Wiley's Youtube account

YouTube is under pressure to suspend the account of rapper Wiley after he continued to post videos days after being banned from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for antisemitic comments.

The musician, whose real name is Richard Cowie, was widely condemned for the anti-Jewish posts on Twitter starting on Friday, including one Instagram video where he said “crawl out from under your little rocks and defend your Jewish privilege”.

After being banned from the three social media giants, he has continued uploading videos, one of which has already been taken down for violating YouTube’s hate speech policies.

The social media platform confirmed it has temporarily suspended monetisation on all his videos.

YouTube said: “Hate speech and content that promotes hate against religious groups is strictly prohibited on YouTube.

“We’ve worked hard to develop responsible and universal community guidelines that make clear what content is unacceptable on our platform and we enforce our policies consistently, and regardless of viewpoint.”

Marie van der Zyl, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, called on YouTube to delete his account entirely after meeting with representatives of the site on Wednesday.

She said: “The Board of Deputies made it clear that we believed Wiley would soon be using their platform to spread the same anti-Semitic messages he has been spreading on other media platforms. As predicted, Wiley has begun doing so.

“We urge YouTube to follow the example of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and delete Wiley’s account.”

YouTube has said it will look at the broader context of Wiley’s videos and his behaviour off the platform when considering further action.

It comes as campaigners put pressure on the government to remove Wiley’s MBE — which he said he would be willing to give up as he “never wanted it”.

The musician insisted he is not racist as he apologised for “generalising” in his tweets — however, the Campaign Against Antisemitism is among the voices calling for Wiley’s MBE to be forfeited.

A petition calling for him to be stripped of his MBE has been signed by 29,000 people, with Change.org, the site on which it’s hosted, backing the move.

Executive Director of Change.org UK, Kajal Odedra, told Jewish News: “As soon as the news broke about Wiley’s antisemitic comments, dozens of people started petitions on Change.org for his MBE to be removed. Since then, over 27,000 people have signed Sophie’s petition, which is a clear sign of the strength of feeling about this issue.

The Cabinet Office should be paying close attention to the fact Twitter, Facebook and Instagram have all banned Wiley this week, and listen to the thousands of people who want his MBE removed.”

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments