Demonstration held outside High Court hearing for Westminster Shoah memorial
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Demonstration held outside High Court hearing for Westminster Shoah memorial

Campaigners held placards as the hearing got underway, saying the memorial was the "right idea in the wrong place" and that "not all Holocaust survivors want this plan"

Protesters outside the Royal Courts of Justice in central London ahead of a hearing regarding the UK Holocaust Memorial. The London Historic Parks and Gardens Trust is opposed to a new UK Holocaust Memorial and Learning Centre being built in Victoria Tower Gardens, a small triangular Grade II-listed park next to Westminster Abbey and the Palace of Westminster. Issue date: Tuesday February 22, 2022.
Protesters outside the Royal Courts of Justice in central London ahead of a hearing regarding the UK Holocaust Memorial. The London Historic Parks and Gardens Trust is opposed to a new UK Holocaust Memorial and Learning Centre being built in Victoria Tower Gardens, a small triangular Grade II-listed park next to Westminster Abbey and the Palace of Westminster. Issue date: Tuesday February 22, 2022.

More than a dozen campaigners appeared outside the High Court, ahead of a legal challenge against plans to build a national Holocaust memorial next to the Houses of Parliament.

Demonstrators held placards saying it was the “right idea in the wrong place” and “not all Holocaust survivors want this plan”.

The challenge to the £100m proposal, which has broad support from across the Jewish community and from all major political parties, is being brought by the London Historic Parks and Gardens Trust.

This comes after the government approved a new UK Holocaust Memorial and Learning Centre in Victoria Tower Gardens, a small triangular Grade II-listed park next to Westminster Abbey and the Palace of Westminster.

The Trust is bringing a challenge over planning permission for the park site, arguing that the decision-making process was flawed.

Its case is focused on the impact the development may have on the heritage setting and the evaluation of alternative sites.

The trust previously said it is not opposed to the construction of a memorial and centre, but challenged Victoria Tower Gardens as a location.

Its High Court case against the Government is due to begin before Mrs Justice Thornton on Tuesday. Planning permission for the memorial was granted last July by then-planning minister Chris Pincher following a public inquiry.

Artist’s impression issued by the UK Holocaust Memorial showing the aerial view of the proposed Holocaust Memorial and Learning Centre in London.

Planning inspector David Morgan previously concluded that the centre, which will mark the atrocities committed by the Nazis against Jews and other minorities during the Second World War, should be built in the park after finding that alternative locations were not suitable.

It came after the Government “called in” the decision over the memorial proposal in November 2019 rather than have it determined by the local authority – Westminster City Council.

The council is among a number of high-profile organisations and individuals to have objected to the chosen site, including former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Lord Williams and Holocaust survivor Anita Lasker-Wallfisch were among 19 people to put their name to a letter in The Times on Thursday questioning the location. They said that, as well as flooding concerns, there were issues around the “crowded and security-sensitive nature of the area”.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick (right), holocaust survivor Sir Ben Helfgott and his grandson Reuben at Victoria Gardens in Westminster, London, celebrating the go-ahead being given to a Holocaust memorial. Picture date: Thursday July 29, 2021.

Campaigners opposed to the memorial’s proposed park location have previously argued that it is the “right idea in the wrong place”, and have called for the green space to be protected.

The memorial, due to open in 2024, is intended to be the focal point for national remembrance of the six million Jewish men, women and children murdered in the Holocaust and all other victims of Nazi persecution, along with providing a place for reflection on “subsequent genocides”.

The Government has committed to it being free “in perpetuity” when it opens, with plans being unveils for the site last year, attended by Holocaust survivor Sir Ben Helfgott, and former minister Robert Jenrick.

Some £75 million of public money has already been put towards construction costs, which is due to be supplemented by £25 million from charitable donations.

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments