Floral tributes laid outside Heaton Park Synagogue in memory of the victims of the Yom Kippur attack.
Floral tributes laid outside Heaton Park Synagogue in memory of the victims of the Yom Kippur attack.

Man charged with failing to disclose information after Heaton Park synagogue attack

Iraqi national Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St James Road, Higher Broughton, charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity

Floral tributes laid outside Heaton Park Synagogue in memory of the victims of the Yom Kippur attack.
Man charged with failing to disclose information after Heaton Park synagogue attack
Iraqi national Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St James Road, Higher Broughton, charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity

Worshippers Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby were killed when Jihad Al-Shamie, 35, a Syrian-born British citizen, drove into the gates of the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in October last year, and then began attacking with a knife, wearing a fake suicide belt.

On Thursday, Counter Terrorism Policing North West said Iraqi national Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St James Road, Higher Broughton had been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity.

Hakim has been remanded in custody to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, the force said.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who holds operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “This charge is directly related to the terrorist attack which took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue last October.

“This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors.

“We have updated them and continue to offer them as much support as possible.

“Since the attack took place, we have been unwavering in our commitment to establishing the full picture behind the incident and identifying anybody who may have been involved in any way.

“The charge that has been authorised is the culmination of a substantial amount of meticulous work by the investigation team, supported by the Crown Prosecution Service, and I hope this update reaffirms that commitment.”

Al-Shamie was shot dead by police outside the synagogue after launching his attack, which took place on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year for Jews.

Mr Cravitz, 66, died from multiple knife wounds inflicted by Al-Shamie while Mr Daulby, 53, was struck by a single gunshot wound to the chest fired by an armed police officer scrambled to the scene in Crumpsall.

Three other men were treated in hospital for serious injuries and later released.

read more: